I have no problem admitting that I love
d boy bands. From NKOTB to *NSYNC and everything in between. Heck, I still listen to boy band music while I work on certain days (maybe on days like today). It’s cheesy, catchy, fun and who doesn’t remember crying to a boy band ballad when you broke up with that little jerk from math class and wished Justin would swoop in and save the day? Wait, was that just me? Oops.
So today, I’m putting it all out there and sharing my favorite boy band moments. And yes, there are enough for a top 10 list. In fact, I tried very hard not to make this a top ten *NSNYC list, because I could have. Easily. I forced myself to pick from other bands. You should be proud, or ashamed, of my extensive boy band knowledge.
I should also note this list is based on songs with videos. No video, no making the list.
10. LFO “Summer Girls”. This song makes absolutely no sense, but I think I taped it from my radio about 100 times that summer. (y’all remember the trick to put tape over the little holes on a tape to turn any tape into a record-able one, right?) It also started my A&F obsession. Those were a dark few years.
9. *NSYNC “Gone” I feel like this was a preview of the Justin-of-the-future. And the video? Holy hotness. Was it just me, or did you just want to tell JT “Screw her! I’ll let you paint my toenails and throw me a birthday party in the kitchen!!!”? Poor broken-hearted Justin.
8. Backstreet Boys “Backstreet’s Back” This one makes the list simply for the video. It won my Halloween-loving heart over. I was never a BSB girl, but I did rock out to this song whenever it came on Z100.
7. Take That “Back For Good” Boy band with an accent? Swoon.
6. 98 Degrees “Give Me Just One Night (Una Noche)”. Sure, I could have gone with the “this will SO be my wedding song” “(I Do) Cherish You” or the fabulous holiday ballad “This Gift”, but I loved the Latin beat and Nick Lachey pretending he was some sauve Latin Lover.
5.Color Me Badd “I Wanna Sex You Up”. My mom HATED this song. She tried to make me turn the channel any time it came on the radio and wouldn’t let me buy the cassette single (even though I totally went to The Wall and bought it anyway). Tick tock, you don’t stop.
4. *NSYNC “Thinking Of You (I Drive Myself Crazy)” Silk pajamas, bad bleach jobs, shenanigans, and a cameo from the chick from Clueless. It’s such an awesomely bad video, how could it not make my list? Also, most insane asylums wouldn’t have let Justin rock a thick gold necklace in his padded cell…just sayin’.
3. NKOTB “Step by Step” I dare you not to crank this up and sing along. You know you know the words and immediately bust out in the running man. Don’t lie. I know, there are a dozen other NKOTB songs I could have picked, but you really can’t top this one. The only thing that would have made NKOTB better is if Danny wasn’t in the group. Harsh, but true.
2. Boyz II Men “Motown Philly” I often hesitate to put B2M in the same category with LFO because these guys could sing circles around pretty much everyone on this list, but they’re technically a boy band and I don’t know a single person who didn’t love this song.
1. *NSYNC “Tearing Up My Heart” I mean, really, do I need to explain?
Did you favorite make the list? Which video do you think I missed? Or, are you simply ashamed to say you know me? It’s ok, I understand.